webbing exchange and Semantisize and Free Online Course in Ruby on Rails Powered by Google App Engine

Monday, July 14, 2008

Rails, django,liferay or Joomla ?

The world is getting smaller. And more confusing at that. We started with plain old flat, HTML based sites about 10 score years ago. Then came the need to gather data online. Why? Because we became plain old lazy. Not exactly, but we just needed a better, faster way to collate information. Someone gave birth to ASP (yuck!)

I had a client who wanted a e-commerce site (heresy !) built with ASP or Coldfusion. Why ? I screamed at him? Why can't you just sell stuff from your shop? Why do you have to make me grovel at those commercial tyrants? Anyways, I decided to give it a go, and lo and behold : My first dynamic site which did something useful rather than just spew useless data, was born.

10 years down the road, I was working with PHP and MySQL on 'portals'. Whoever gave the name 'portal' must be a rabid fantasy RPG fan. What does a web portal do? Transport you to another realm while you trying to run away from a horde of angry trolls? Nope. It's supposed to epitomise community collaboration, Web 2.0 (buzzword!). It's supposed to bring the world closer. Hmmm ... why do we still have wars then? Wasn't web supposed to fix all that?

'Portal' back to now : I'm staring at a new phenomenon : Multi language CMS and portals.

Python freaks gave birth to django, ruby worshippers rolled out rails, java beanies roasted on liferay and jboss and php, well, still rules with joomla.

Don't get me wrong, technology is good. But not for a 36 year old, balding, tired guy. All I want is more sleep.

0 comments: